Sunday, April 26, 2009

Buckwheats!

Not many people had the privilege of eating the "real" buckwheat pancakes growing up or even know what they are yet alone hear of them. My Gram used to fix them when I was little and I made them for my boys while they were growing up just let she fixed them for hers. Real buckwheat pancakes are made with yeast and started very much like a sour dough started the evening before. They had more of a sour taste to them and the longer they set the more sour they get. With pure maple syrup or honey it balances out nicely. We love them. When you make them and for some reason you don't finish the batch - just mix more that evening using the left over batter for starter. They only get better and better.


Some buckwheat flour is dark and your pancakes will have a dark gray appearance - I like them dark but will eat them light or dark I love them.

Buckwheat Pancakes

They night before and in a crock (I've use my crock pot before)dissolve 1 package of yeast in 1 cup of warm water.

Get ready:
2 Cups of milk (warm not hot)
1/4 melted butter
2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp sugar

I heat this all together to melt butter and let cool down some. Also I tend to use less sugar for more sour; the syrup is sweet enough.

Pour the milk mixture into the dissolved yeast and stir together then add;
2 Cups buckwheat flour
1 Cup of reg or wheat flour

Mix altogether cover with lid and hit the sak.

Next morning:
After you've had your coffee- add 1/2 tsp of baking soda stirred into some water and mix into batter. You want a thin batter not real thick, so you can add a little more water and thin a bit. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I will have to try these!!!! Sounds great. The picture isn't showing up, though. I'd like to see them so I can really get hungry!!

Becky said...

Oh yeah - they DO look good!! I like the changing pictures, too.