Breton Butter Cake with Strawberry Compote


I was searching through recipes that I've saved over the years and specifically for a zucchini relish recipe I've used in the past.  I realize this post has nothing to do with zucchini but in my attempt to find the relish recipe I found this recipe that I had forgotten about (2002).   So I thought wow this would be awesome for Easter!  In trying to kept this short since I'm behind on many things, actually killing time at the moment, I will get right to the recipe.



The recipe is made in a fluted tart pan as shown above and since it was Easter and why I choose to make what I did which in and of itself wasn't difficult it was a time issue in baking etc that was causing pressure on my end.  So I'm not able to show pictures in process.  LOL  Of course I haven't been able to do much of that recent years. . . why change?  I miss doing so but in the kitchen I cook in now it takes time to set up a great and a camera that's working.  :/  One day ~

Breton Butter Cake
MAKES ONE 9 - INCH CAKE

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
6 large egg yolks
2 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour (I sifted but not necessary)
1/4 tsp salt
1 large whole egg, lightly beaten
   Strawberry Compote (recipe following)

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Cream butter and sugar in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment until light and fluffy.  Beat in vanilla and yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add flour and salt, beat just until combined.  Do not overmix.

2.  Transfer batter to 9 - inch tart pan with removable bottom; with small offset spatula, spread batter and smooth top.  (If necessary, chill batter 10 minutes before smoothing).  I did this and it wasn't cooperating so I warmed the metal offset spatula in hot water - making sure it was dry and was able to smooth top.  Place pan in refrigerator for 15 minutes.

3.  Remove from refrigerator.  Brush top with beaten egg, and mark a criss-cross pattern with a fork. Brush again with egg.  Bake until cake is deep golden brown and edges pull away from sides of pan, about 50 minutes.

4.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.  Remove cake from pan, and slice while still warm.  serve with strawberry compote.



Strawberry Compote
MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS



1 1/2 pounds strawberries, stemmed and cut lengthwise into six segments
2 Tbsp Grand Marnier (I didn't have a full 2 Tbsp so just to try I used triple sec) It seemed to work.
1 Tbsp finely grated orange zest
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice, strained

1.  Combine berries, Grand Marnier, and zest in a small bowl.  Toss; let stand 30 minutes.

2.  Bring juice to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, and simmer until liquid is reduced heat, and simmer until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 20 minutes.  Remove from heat; let cool. Pour over strawberries. and toss to combine.



It has an excellent favor very similar to a buttery pound cake but dense.  The strawberry compote top it perfectly nothing more was needed.  Enjoy ~


I couldn't tell you what magazine I got this from.  What they included was - the recipe was from Brittany the westernmost region in France.  It has a dense , crisp texture, similar to shortbread. Accompanied by a cup of coffee, it's a pleasant finish to dinner; if you have any left over, you can nibble on a slice for breakfast the next morning.

Comments

Popular Posts