Simple Crusty Bread


I've made breads of all kinds over the years and this is one of the easiest bread recipes ever!  I do have another to share that I've baked in my cast iron dutch oven that is just as easy and no knead type also, very similar to same possibly.  Other breads I've made in the past I love though sometimes took into the next day before I could enjoy it; so I was looking for a recipe that I didn't have to what so long and would fit into busy days.


This Crusty Bread recipe I located here on Wednesday Chef  is a Jeff Hertzberg recipe that I actually first found on the New York Time's website - they have amazing recipes to try - having saved this recipe from their site before and not being able to access it, even though I subscribed; lead me to looking elsewhere.  On the Times site I would view a recipe for a second after pulling it up to have them throw a subscribe link that I could never get out of!  Yeah technology. Anyway I was happy to see it here since I wasn't able to get through to my saved items with the Times.


Since then I've made this several time on a baking stone, in a Dutch oven and with my bread pan. Any and all ways it turns out.  Even when I end up leaving it longer in the rising process to run into town that always seems to be a 3 hour tour - adventure!  I'm kind of smiling ~


As you can see very tempting for the avid bread lover! Am I enticing you yet with the photo's?

Crusty Bread

UP TO 4 LOAVES DEPENDING SIZE

You will need:

1 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast (I also used instant you don't have to mix n water separating)
1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose, more for dusting dough, I used combination also,
         as 1/2 cup rye - 1/2 all purpose etc.

At this point is where I differ in the process I use my Kitchen aid mixer but this can be done by hand as on original recipe.

1.  If using active dry yeast place yeast and salt in bowl with 3 cups of lukewarm water.  I let set some then add flour while mixing about 1-2 cups at a time until it is all incorporated no dry patches.  If using instant yeast mix altogether.  This is a loose dough but not wet - very different from other breads and doesn't hold a form easily but don't worry it turns out.  Cover but not with a tight cover and let rise to a room temp 2 hours or up to 5.

2.  Bake at this point. You can also refrigerate covered for up to two weeks (haven't tried this yet).
When ready to bake having oven heated etc.  Sprinkle a little flour on dough and break of grapefruit size chunks with a serrated knife, mom would be happy she likes serrated.  Turn dough in hands lightly stretching surface creating a rounded top bottom will be lumpy.  DO THE BEST YOU CAN it is loose dough and isn't going to shape to form like other doughs.  I place on parchment it's easier for me and let rest for about 40 minutes.  Slide pizza peel under parchment and place on baking stone if using. If you weren't using parchment your dough should be place on a pizza peel that has been dusted with cornmeal for easier removal.  And, if not using a stone and a baking pan after shaping place directly into prepared baking pan, let rest about 40 minutes before baking.

3.  If using a baking stone place boiler pan on the bottom of oven, you will be using it with water to create moisture in the oven to crisp up your bread crust.  Place baking stone on rack in middle part of your oven and heat to 450 degree.  This will give your dough a rest period and heat stone, original recipe heats stone 20 minutes.  At this point I'd put the kettle on to heat water for baking and tea ~

If using Dutch oven you shape, let rest then place into prepared and heated dutch oven place lid.  You will not need boiler pan or water.  It creates it's on humidity in dutch oven it's perfect.

4.  Dust dough with flour and slash the tops with serrated or very sharp knife 3 or 4 times and slide onto stone.  Pour one cup of hot water into boiler pan at bottom of oven CAREFULLY and shut oven door quickly to trap steam.  Bake until brown, if using a thermometer bread should be about 200 degrees in cavity.


Above photo the bread was baked using my cast iron Dutch oven, if you are on using yours you will need to preheat dutch oven including lid before placing your bread in for baking, once heated dust bottom with cornmeal place dough on top and put lid on, bake 30 minutes then remove lid baking for 15 for minutes.  Below bread was baked on a baking stone with stone heated for no less than 30 minutes in hot oven.  I place the stone in and start the pre-heating process, once getting it to desired baking temperature I then leave stone continue to heat for 30 minutes to an hour depending on what I'm baking.  With pizza the heating time is extended.


This recipe will make one very large, two, three or four depending on what you like.  Let's say you only want to make a small loaf, you could adjust the recipe to accommodate one loaf or you could continue with the batch and once it's risen take what you need and freeze the rest.  For freezing separate it in the loaf size you would like to be using and place in a good ziploc type bag.

Below is a Steel Double French Loaf Pan I purchased many moons ago there are some out there that's similar though I think you'd need to go on line or possibly a good quality kitchen shop might carry one.   Happy Baking ~

Don't forget to check out Wednesday Chef's  for original and really nice blog.  Also this link for another no knead recipe baking in a Dutch Oven.





Comments

Popular Posts