Pasta Fagioli ~ Boy do I love this soup!

This soup is delicious anytime of the year but especially tasty when it is not so nice out and you'd like something comfy! I located this recipe here @ Once upon a chef with Jenn Segal and have made her Pasta Fagioli a few times; please check out her blog, her serving suggestion is with rosemary focaccia and salad. I served mine with fresh rustic bread I made earlier. 

Pasta Fagioli


I usually keep a supply of ingredients that I use, when I can buying as I see them. Here in my neck of the woods it has always been hard to find what you like or the ingredients you need and I know can be challenging with how things are presently. I always share with others if you can't find organic and non-GMO - do the best you can you need to eat and you want to eat as nutritionally as you can. This soup is a great soup with really good ingredients! Broth of any kind is hard to find that is a good quality but very easy to make on your own and many times less expensive - you just might need to plan ahead. 
I will say for this recipe or others that you don't normally prepare do all prep before hand and it will go easier as well as, looking over the directions. 


Ingredients needed:

2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, extra for serving
4 oz. diced pancetta *
1 medium onion, finely diced 
2 med. carrots finely diced
2 med. celery stalks finely diced  
2 garlic cloves minced 
1/2 cup white wine
6 cups of chicken broth, low sodium, bone broth, stock *
1 tsp. salt
1/4 freshly grd. black pepper, I used a coarser grind
2 cans of cannelloni beans or chick peas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed I used green lentils
1 cup diced or chopped canned tomatoes in their juices, I've used either
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp. fresh minced rosemary - the smell alone is worth it!
3/4 cup dried pasta I like ditalini pasta but elbows are fine
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano,* more for serving - I've used grated and thinly sliced.


I prep everything and set it aside ready to grab.


In a large pot heat oil over medium - low heat, add pancetta.



Cook until fat begins to render this will take about 5-7 minutes.


Add onion, celery and carrots - increase heat to medium and cook stirring frequently till onion is translucent about 5 minutes.


Add garlic cooking about 1 minute more stirring constantly as to not burn garlic or stick to bottom. Add wine and cook till it almost evaporated - about 5 minutes.


Add broth of choice, seasonings [salt, pepper, bay leaves, rosemary] beans, lentils and tomatoes. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce your heat to a medium low and simmer uncovered until lentils are tender.





This will take anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes or more. 


Using a slotted spoon scoop out 1 cup of the bean mixture and then add a bit of the liquid. Because of the heat of the mixture leave center knob of lid off to allow steam to escape, it is HOT and cover with paper towel to keep from splashing out.


Puree until smooth and set aside. At this point add pasta to the pot; stirring to incorporate. Turn heat up to a gentle boil cook until paste is tender but still a bit firm, 8 - 12 minutes depending on pasta used. The soup will thicken as pasta is cooking.


Take out bay leaves, stir in puree from blender - you might have to add a bit of liquid from the pot, or extra broth or water, to clean it out of the container.  Cook briefly to heat the soup through. Remove from heat stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano. You can add more liquid of choice if soup seem to thick. As it sets it will thicken, I use always use more broth and if there is soup left-over, you will need to thin it some. To serve drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and extra cheese.

*If for some reason you can't find pancetta you can use bacon as a substitute, ideas in for vegetarian. 
If you want to use vegetable broth for vegetarian get a good one for the favor or use your own. Previous link has suggestions with olives instead of pancetta. For the cheese I used what was pictured above and it worked fine. I love using a good hard cheese with nutty flavor, I've also saved many rinds for soup and if you have some this would work here. Just when time to add the cheese put in cut up rinds and let set for a bit stirring some to melt down mix. It will give this soup a wonderful flavor. 

Lastly, I tried do make the simple to those that haven't made this before. You can read full directions here and check out "once upon a chef" blog. If there is any left enjoy ~ 





Comments

Popular Posts