Warming Potato Soup ~


I have been making this for years I've changed it up a bit, but this is yummy soup for winter or anytime.

What's needed: 

Bacon 12oz thick or reg. cooked through to crisp for bits. I bake @ 350 on parchment reserving grease.

Russet Potatoes washed, peeled and diced about 1/2" or smaller. 6 or more depending on size and amount of soup you plan.

Onion 1 small diced small

Celery same as onion [or celery seed light sprinkle - 1/4 - 1/2 tsp.]

Carrot same as onion, though depending how much you are making I used 3 small to med.

Garlic a couple minced gloves. [or a light dusting of garlic powder 1/4 - 1/2 tsp]

Broth Vegetable or Chicken 32oz (4 cups) or more depending on amount of soup and thickness you desire.

Whole milk, 1/2 & 1/2, or whole cream - a half cup to a cup.

salt and pepper to taste

herbs of choice optional

1. Prepare all the above and bake your bacon. Once done remove from pan onto paper towels, wrap and let set until ready to use. Take the bacon grease and spoon or pour into a large pot enough to get onion, celery and carrots started. medium - med. high heat for about 5 minutes or so.

2. You want to cook them stirring occasionally - onions will be translucent and carrots should be softened. Add a bit more of bacon grease if you desire - I do, then add garlic and potatoes. Stirring occasionally until they start to soften.

3. At this point add broth and finish out cooking until the potatoes are done - soft enough to smash done to your desired creaminess. I break it down but for this, small bits to creamy is good (a mix) it is really what you prefer. Add milk of choice, stir and serve topped with bacon pieces. 

I typically make this by just throwing it together. Above is from memory ha. I'll be making it again soon I'm sure and use measurements to share.  Hey, go for it make it your own! ENJOY

Oh, I did find the original in one of my oooooold Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks. I remember making it as written at least once then reverted to an idea - combined family recipe with adding some new! Now rules have fun. All recipes start with a basic one and creativity. 





Comments

Popular Posts