Heirloom Tomato Galette



Galette [gə-ˈlet] - short a 
A French flat free form cake of pastry often topped with fruit, and some ~
Not like a regular pie that is stuffed high but what I like to call a rustic pie.
Mine is savory.

The first thing I did was decide how I wanted to bake it and since I chose my baking stone, I preheat the oven longer to make sure stone was just right. Preheat at 400F.  Then I started on the pastry. You can use pre-purchased or make your own - why not? I made mine using coconut oil this time, butter mostly. Make your favorite. Then I let chill in frig, at least 15 minutes or until you are ready. Now for the other goodies!


I used 3 small - medium Cavilli Heirloom Tomato [or other] slice equal around 1/4 slice
4-5 cloves of garlic finely diced or minced in press
Fresh basil of top roughly chopped if needed

Next, I got the cheese I planned to use.
Smoked Gouda - leftover from my Eggplant Tart, I used what I grated on the right.
Parmesan Cheese what was grated and about a 1/4 more of the small block.


Set aside and when ready I rolled out my pastry on parchment paper to desired size.




Smoked Gouda on the bottom about an inch or so from the edge with a light bit of parmesan on top and part of the garlic.


Place your tomatoes adding the rest of the garlic and parmesan on top.


Pull up sides all around as seen and do an egg whitewash or with yoke or not. If you do a wash mix with a bit of wash brush on and you can sprinkle flaked salt if you like (totally optional).


Bake till done. About 20-25 minutes. I kept mine in a tad longer the tomatoes were very juicy, I wanted the crust crisp and flaky. Don't forget the basil, I put some on a little too early then add a bit after it was done.


I will be making this again!




Comments

Popular Posts