Apple Pie w/ Gluten Free Pie Crust



I had the apples - no flour!  So I thought to myself why not I did have gluten free flours and pie crust is something I've been wanting to try.  It was excellent! Here's my recipe - it may sound odd but it's what I had on hand to use.  Hope you try it and enjoy.

My Gluten Free Pie Dough
2 Cups gluten free flour (there are many varieties out there I get Bob's Red Mill)
2Tbsp sugar
1tsp Xanthan Gum
1tsp salt
1/2 Cup of butter plus 3 Tbsp oil
ice water

I a medium bowl cut butter and oil in dry ingredients when it's all incorporated it will resemble crumbs.  I got 3/4 cup ice water ready but didn't use it all.  I drizzled a little in at a time pulling the dough all together; as you would any other pie dough your making.
Roll out on parchment or waxed paper a must it was very tasty at times to work with, easily pulled apart.  Place in greased or oiled pie pan I used and cast iron skillet.  Fill with your filling of choice.  Top with the rest of the rolled out dough, put slits for steam.  Brush with cream sprinkle a little sugar on top and bake in pre-heated 425 degrees oven for 15-20 mins (you might have to place a loose piece of foil on top), drop temp down to 350 and bake another 30 -35 minutes; or until you feel its done.

Comments

Popular Posts