Chicken Tikka Marsala

It surprises me to think I never tried Indian food. I would simply say "I don't care for it." How wrong for me to say that, since I never really tried it. I've always been a big promoter of trying new things, but for some reason UN-known to me; not Indian. Maybe it had to do with Indiana Jones Temple of Doom. You know frozen monkey brains and the like - well just never seemed that to appealing to me. How about you?
I have always enjoyed cooking with fresh herbs and using spices. The smells are so heavenly you can get lost in them. Indian food not only uses wonderful spices, it uses other healthy ingredients that you should include in your everyday diet. Garlic, ginger, cayenne and cinnamon are just a few that's excellent for your well being. Not leaving out good probotic such as yogurt.

You might think that the spice in Indian foods are hard on your stomach - NOT SO. The spices use are very good for the stomach. Maybe I'll post one day on all it's benefits but for now it's just a recipe I definitely hope you try. My if for any reason you don't understand the recipe let me know in the comment section. I hoping to post this a bit easier than in the recipe book I used Recipes for the Nation's Favourite Food: Britain's Top 100 Dishes.

Chicken Tikka Marsala

With this dish you need to start the night before.

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 Tbsps. ready made tandoori paste
2 Tbsps. natural (plain) yoghart

Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and mix with tandoori paste and yoghart. leave to marinate in a non-metallic dis for at least a couple hours (or over night; I do over night), stirring occassionally.
When you're ready to make it, prep time is very important and makes this dish easier to do. You'll need: 3 Tbsps. vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter),

1 cinnamon stick
8 cardamon pods
1 lrg. onion, finely diced
1- 1/4" fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. each ground coriander and cumin
1/2 tsp. each turmeric and cayenne (for cayenne 1/2-1)

Also needed:
7 oz tin (can) tomatoes ,chopped
5 fl. oz chicken stock or water
1-1/2 tsp. garam marsala
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp salt


Heat oil or ghee in a deep frying pan, when very hot add cinnamon, cardamom pods and onion. I added the spice for a bit by its self.




Then I added the onions.
Fry for about 5-6 minutes until it begins to brown.


Then add the ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric and cayenne. After all the spices have cooked for about a minute,

add chicken and marinade. Fry for about 3-4 minutes,


then add, tomatoes, chicken stock,garam masala, lemon juice and salt.


Bring the curry to a simmer and cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes. I cook some longer and try to reduce some but not all the liquid. Serve straight away with rice or naan bread.

It's very important you go over the recipe and list all the ingredients needed. But don't be afraid to tackle it; it's much easier than you maybe thinking. Just plan. Most of the ingredients you can fine in a good grocery store. If you can't you can go to an Indian shop and you may find ingredients in an Asian store.

Picture taken below was for a church dinner, the recipe was tripled. It also disappeared!

Comments

Popular Posts