Sweet Potato Empanadas


That's right sweet potato and why not? To be honest about it - left over sweet potatoes and they worked out great. For those that might not know what an empanada is; it's a small turnover that can be filled with various fillings. When I moved from Pennsylvania to Arizona as a kid that's when I first discovered these awesome little pies. My favorite happens to be pumpkin and since sweet potato taste similar in pie; I thought I'd give it a try. In this particular recipe I used more ingredients than when I've made my regular pumpkin. I hope you try them and try other fillings.

Sweet Potato Empanadas
Prepare a cookie sheet or two with a little oil or cooking spray. Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
For the Dough:

2 1/4 cups of flour
1/2 tsp.baking powder
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup water
Mix together all the dry ingredients, with pastry blender pour in oil (drizzling over) mix together as you would in making any pie dough. When dough resembles corm meal texture, add water and form dough.

Filling:
1 cup sweet potato or pumpkin
1 tbsp. of honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ground ginger ( I used 1/4 -1/2 freshly grated or zested ginger)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/8 tsp. nutmeg (I grated whole nutmeg)
1/3 c apples chopped*
2 tbsp. dried dates or apricots
egg wash

After you have everything ready to go, dividend dough in walnut size balls plus depending on how many you'd like to make. Sometimes I run out of fill and end up with more dough. Roll out each ball into a thin circle (as making a pie). Place filling on center, brush a little water on edge and pull one side over to make a half circle seal by pinching together and then fold edges over a little and crimp or use fork. Check photo. Once all made up place on cookie sheets brush with egg wash (just a beaten egg) and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden.

I've made this recipe before not changing any of the recipe. Pictured in photo I used 1 apple and didn't use dates or apricots.
I also had leftover dough and used it for a couple small tarts recipe belo

For more info on Empanadas if your interested click here. If you'd like to use a meat filling omit the sugar in the dough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empanada

Little Apple Walnut Tarts


Using the same dough recipe as above (leftover dough). Roll into circles and place a filling in center and spread out towards edges but not to far you need to be able to pull edges up as pictured. I brushed a little butter around edges and gently started folding edges up over lapping. Use egg wash around dough and sprinkle with raw coarse sugar. Bake 375 F for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden. When done drizzle a little extra honey on.

Filling I used:
Stir together
1 chopped apple
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1-2 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Comments

Popular Posts