Morning Glory / Better Morning Muffins

What do you do with raisins that seem to be left from trail mix? You make a great muffin! Or anything that you might use raisins for. Pictured is a muffin recipe out of Better Homes and Garden. I found this recipe three years ago while looking for a muffin called the Better Morning Muffin that I found in a coffee shop. Better Homes calls theirs the Morning Glory Muffin. The muffins are simply a great carrot cake in the form of a muffin. If you like carrot cake you will love this.

It would be wonderful for a brunch or whenever you have a desire for something really yummy. It would be great with coffee - or for me this morning - We've been out of coffee so tea will have to suffice. Enjoy!

Morning Glory Muffins:

2 cups all-purpose flour (I used half with half wheat pastry)
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups brown sugar ( I used Demerara Cane Sugar - looks like granulated brown) you can use less
2 med. apples peeled, and chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
1 1/4 cups finely grated carrots
1/2 cup raisins (I had golden raisin with some dried cranberries)
1 8-oz. can crushed pineapple (juice packed), undrained
2/3 cup cooking oil (you could use a little less)
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Line eighteen 2 1/2 inch muffin cups with paper baking cups and set aside.
[I used a reg. muffin pan and found very large paper cups that fit in pan, the paper was out above the pan about an inch; making the muffin much large. You can also use parchment cut in 5"square to line the muffin pan].

In large bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; stir in brown sugar. Stir in apples, carrots, and raisins.

In a medium bowl combine undrained pineapple, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add pineapple mixture to flour mixture, stir until moistened.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake in a 375 degree oven about 18 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. [bake a bit longer if using large cups]. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm. Makes 18 regular size muffins.

I don't know why I couldn't have up with this recipe on my own - even though I make cake very similar to this recipe. I usually don't do well with muffins so I guess I was lacking the confidence needed for a great muffin like the muffins you can buy. If you like me in this area you will like this recipe.

One tip I leave with you. When you're using a recipe for the first time, follow it exact or as close as you can. Then if you like the recipe you can modify or tweak it here and there next time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This sounds so delicious! I am a lover of carrot cake and so is my family. This goes on my "definitely try" list!

Popular Posts