Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing

The cookies were made for a birthday of a little girl and boy coming up soon, as you can see a 4 and 3 year old. I made 40 cookies each and this was the first time decorating with royal icing. Over all I think they turned out nice.

The cookie I made before at least 2 1/2 years ago for my youngest sisters baby shower. I used duck cookie cutters and a butter cream icing. Excellent. I wished I could find a picture.

The cookie recipe I found on http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/ideal-sugar-cookies?autonomy_kw=sugar%20cookies&rsc=header_35 a few years back. It's a cookie that tastes great and not difficult.

The Royal Icing recipes I found at http://www.joyofbaking.com/ .

Royal Icing using Egg Whites:

2 large egg whites
2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted

I mixed it all then separated it to use different colors. I used Wilton's Icing Colors, (you can find at most crafting stores that carry Wilton's products).

Then I piped the icing outlining the cookie. After that set I then thinned the icing with a touch of water at a time to the desired consistency. I then placed it in a ziploc bag snipping a very small hole and started to fill in the cookies 1-3 at a time. The icing dries very quickly so you need to work fast. What doesn't fill in take a tooth pick push the icing into place. I made 80 cookies. You can find more info below as well as on youtube if you'd like to see a how to video if you haven't tried this before.


Comments

Popular Posts