Zucchini Muffins

I was looking for a recipe that I could use zucchini (well its summer and there's tons). Bread I was thinking but was not happy with what I was finding. I also wanted some sort of oat and pumpkin seed topping ( I guess I was just hungry for it). Well here's what I come up with - my own scrumptious recipe for and almost wheat free muffin recipe but depends on what info you might go with. Also to add I'm trying to use up things I have - so if I think something would work in it goes.


I used jumbo paper muffin cups. I don't have a jumbo muffin; I'd love that. So the next best thing is larger cups in reg. muffin tins.


I even used two very clean tuna cans. You could say I was being Eco friendly! ha Recycling is good.



My Zucchini Muffins









1 1/2 Cup Spelt Flour
1 1/2 Cup Oat Bran Flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt 3 tbsp. freshly ground cinnamon
1 - 3 Tbsp. cocoa
3 eggs
1/2 cup safflower oil
1 cup demorara cane sugar (brown)
1/2 cup cane sugar
3 cups zucchini (grated and *try to remove as much moisture as you can)
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, shelled
1/2 cup pecans

Topping

3 Tbsp. rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds, shelled
1 Tbsp. cane sugar
2 Tbsp. pecan pieces

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepared tins.

Get your first six ingredients together into a bowl and blend together for even distribution.
Next beat eggs, oil and sugars together. Add flour mixture once this is all blended add your zucchini and nutmeats.
Spoon batter into tins but not equal with top, check photo above. If you don't have larger tins or paper cups to accommodate prepare another pan for the over follow.
Once all the batter is in tins sprinkle with topping and bake 30-35 minutes for muffins, I baked a bit longer so after the first 30 min. check with pick or your baker instinct and know how. :)



This muffin was baked in a tuna can.











*Zucchini - I grated the zucchini the day before and I placed a paper towel in a strainer then put all the zucchini I grated in there. Placing another towel on top - pressed a bit then sat all of it (leaving it in the strainer) in another bowl - placed in frig until I was ready for it.
*Spelt information - some say its a form of wheat others say not. I've also read those who have wheat allergies sometime can tolerate spelt. As for as that goes those with a gluten allergies may not tolerate oats, rye or barley because of the gluten. There is much to learn here are a couple links worht checking.

http://www.ener-g.com/Articles/ArticlePage.aspx?pageId=371
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?1029&printview

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm not a big zucchini fan (I love summer squash) but these muffins look delicious! I am going to pass the recipe on to some folks in my family who love zucchini! :-)

Popular Posts