One Pot - My Chuck Roast Dinner~

Burr - - well it wasn't that cold out but certainly cool and fall-ish enough for a great dinner to warm one up.  That's exactly what this meal did also - warm us up; I imagine that's why it's good to eat the things you eat seasonally; locally as possible. The dinner I prepared was very hearty and very good tasting.  I've been wanting to use more winter squash varieties and in this dish I used Delicata Squash also known as a Peanut or Bohemian Squash - what a wonderful flavor.  What made it equally nice was that when I cut it in half lengthwise - scooped out the seed (save them to roast like pumpkin) then I was able to remove the skin with a peeler! It was touch as with other winter varieties.   Winter Squash is very good for you too not just great tasting - I have another link you might like to check out on the side bar look for the photo of winter squash.
I'm posting three picture, however, not one is the finished product, we were to hungry and started digging in before I realized ah! I forgot the picture.  Jim said take one of the empty plates because it was that good! LOL

My Chuck Roast Dinner

In a iron roaster (dutch oven) brown your chuck roast on both sides.  Then start adding the goods!  I wanted you to see how pretty. 



1 large onion, quartered
1 medium winter squash, peeled & cut in chunks
3 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 Chiogga Beets, peeled & quartered

I also added:

1 sweet potato, peeled and cut in 4 chunks

4 small potatoes, peeled and quartered 

Put the top on and bake till the meat and vegetables are just about done. 1 1/2 - 2 hrs depending on your oven and pot you're using.


About 20-30 minutes before it's done place on top 
1 small green cabbage, quartered 
Cook till cabbage is tender.



I didn't add water - I used a wonderful roaster/smoker (Emeril Lagasse 5 in 1 Cast Iron Smoker we purchased maybe 3 years ago) everything I've ever made in it and on it turned out. You can also use a seasoned Dutch Oven both have heavy lids that seal well.
With the dripping I made some gravy for the potatoes, they were the only thing that was that exciting! 

PLEASE EXCUSE THE BROKEN UP POST - FOR SOME REASON NOTHING WAS GOING TOGETHER WELL - DINNER SURE DID THOUGH..

Comments

Popular Posts