New Muffin Pans! Thanks Mom~


There's nothing better than receiving a "wonderful" surprise in the mail :) don't you agree?  Especially when the surprise is in the form of a gift and that gift would be a Wilton's large muffin pan!  But what's better than one; two!  Thank you Mom!  I had no idea! I guess that's what makes it a wonderful surprise! LOL  I've been wanting to get a pan for a long time now but would put it off.  In my efforts for making large muffins though, I started placing large muffin papers in a regular muffin pan.  It does work, you just get taller muffins or slightly larger than regular size and the papers can be a bit tricky.
When you go into a store, especially when they have a great bakery - have you dreamed of one day making yummy large muffins too? Now I realize it sounds like I might be contradicting myself since bakery items are something you shouldn't eat a lot of - or any; I do try my best to make them as healthy as possible - if that's possible~
Well my mom and I were talking about making muffins and she took note of what I'd been doing for larger muffins and I'm thrilled that she did to say the least.  Is that crazy?  We also talked about recipes; and the possibilities of using a recipe for Banana Bread to make muffins-  like if we needed to make changes to batter and like.   "Thank you Mom again it made my day."
Talking to Mom about changes in recipes got me thinking about one more thing I'd like to share - that's ingredients.  I recently emailed my friend to look at my recipe index using the tab located at the top and give any suggestions she might have.  She reminded me of a number of things about when I cook.  I've always tried to use the best or highest quality with what I could afford.  It does make a different in taste and more importantly in nutrition.
You may have read my recent post on Refracted Lite sharing in some of the struggles we've had and a part 2 would be posted some time in the near future.  One thing I didn't go into was financial hardships we've faced daily, so when I write saying such things as "using the best ingredients that I can afford;" I know about that.  It is difficult but can be done.  I believe homemade and from scratch is the best, you truly have more control and I believe in shopping well, you can truly find deals for you meals! I just made a funny~  Maybe I should do a post on shopping.  Actually it's all about learning and having a desire to know all about what you are putting into your body. --For another time~
I came up with this recipe to try my pans for the first time.  I hope you to will give it a try whether or not you have Wilton's large muffin pans. 

Banana Nut Muffins

2 cups Wheat Pastry Flour
1 cup Spelt (I ground in a flour and had whole to sprinkle on tops)
1 cup of Oat Bran
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 chopped walnuts
1/3 cup of Olive oil (or oil of your choosing)
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 raw honey
1/4 cup dark molasses
2 eggs
3-4 bananas smashed

I mixed together all wet ingredients than added the dry, combine baking powder, soda and salt together with flour before adding.  Stir in nuts and place in prepared tins sprinkle a few spelt flakes and raw sugar on top.  I baked for 20 minutes (I checked also by inserting a round toothpick for doneness)  in a preheated 350 degree oven.  The oven I was using is on the high side and doesn't distribute heat evenly so I found placing my baking pans on a baking stone helps.  Do what works for you. 
Now this recipe will make (I'm guess) 9 over flow muffins with yummy muffin tops.  I choose to see how many large muffins I could get from the batter, 10-11 good size that still had the twist off tops :) and I may go back and tweak it here and there but no need to.
Enjoy~
I also have zucchini from our garden, I can't wait to get into that!

Comments

Popular Posts