Summer Sqaush Soup~

If you've been gardening this year and happen to have plenty of yellow/crooked neck squash; you might like to try this simple yummy recipe. 

Yellow Summer Squash Soup

Ingredients:

2 cloves garlic, crushed (I used 4-5)
1 large onion chopped
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
6-8 small yellow squash, cleaned and sliced, I cut any blemish off
3 cups chicken stock (I used 32oz - 4 cups) see note*
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2, see note*
freshly grated nutmeg
salt and pepper, to taste (I used white pepper)
fresh Basil for garnish

First get everything ready to go, that way it all goes smoothly.  In a large pot place first 3 ingredients and cook on medium heat until golden.  Add your sliced squash and stock, cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.  Somewhere in there as it was cooking I tasted the broth and added salt and pepper.
When the squash is soft I used a hand held blender and pureed it.  You can also let it cool some and use a counter blend or processor.  Once blended well add nutmeg and your half and half.  Cool in frig.  This recipe was given to me from a friend and the recipe apparently was to be serve as a cool summer soup.  I served it warm and it was just as good. 
*I used plain yogurt instead of half and half; you could also add some whole cream or a mix of cream and yogurt.  On the chicken stock I put 3 cups in first and added the left over cup since I use a bit more squash.  The nutmeg I grated a bit on the top before serving (opt)

The only thing that I didn't have that would have been great with it was a slice of rustic bread.  I'd better get baking!

Enjoy~
And thanks Chuck~

Comments

Popular Posts