Adventures In Dehydrating!


[Put first things first.] Prepare your work outside and get it ready for yourself in the field; and afterward build your house and establish a home. Proverbs 24:27 (Amplified)

If you're like us who have lived through - or - living in tough times; you may understand the importance of being prepared.  You might at this moment even be asking yourself is there really such a thing?  But I believe the Lord wants us to be ready in all circumstances - prepared for all things that might come our way, and not just spiritually.

One story in particular I was looking at yesterday was in Genesis 41:27-57 when Joseph was put in charge of storing up grains for 7 years of famine. (There is so much more to the story of Joseph and the task he was given in Egypt.  I hope you take the time to check it out).

I've dehydrated in the past when the boys were little with a old Ronco Food Dehydrator and there wasn't much success, thus not using it.  I couldn't even tell you what happened to it but, I do know I wouldn't use one again. :) Also in recent years my husband and son fashioned a couple trays made from screen framed in wood.   This worked it was also much better and preferred over the old Ronco - you could use it outside - in the basement or in the oven, only problem is humidity in some areas and when in the oven the heat is higher and it uses more energy - not impossible though.

Over the years I never lost my interest in dehydrated foods for latter use - much like canning though with less work, less storage space needed and better nutritional value and I'm all for that!  My hope is to post helpful sites FYI as soon as I can.  For now I wanted to share my newest addition to our home and so excited for its continued uses. 

We have researched many dehydrators that are on the market and found that the Excalibur 3900 would be a good choice for us.    

Apples, Bananas, Blueberries

We have been very please thus far - my husband's only note is that the fan is a bit loud, I agree.  However, we are looking forward to seasonal harvesting with our gardening endeavors! :D
We purchased our Excalibur from Pleasant Grain Hill.

Pears are most excellent also....YUM!

Comments

Popular Posts