Thursday, June 2, 2011

My Chocolate Mousse Cake~ A flourless cake.


It was a little birthday celebration in May - nothing fancy - I served all beef dogs with sauerkraut - the fancy dinner, well that was served Mother's Day.  But you only turn 54 "yikes" once and I wanted to make dessert; lol so the dessert was reserved for my birthday!

My cousin Herb told me of this cake he had and as soon as he got the recipe he said, I was the first person he thought of calling.  Then he told my Dad about it, who lives for sweets and he started to mention it often.

I wrote the recipe down and sat it aside until I was ready.  When that day came I started looking at the recipe and thought to my self that is a lot of butter - and sugar- and a change is needed since I really wanted to make it!  Apparently, as I was writing the recipe out - I was hearing it correct to write it but not thinking of what, if that makes any sense.  So I will give you both recipes and I hope you'll at least try one for your special day.

My cousins:
Chocolate Mousse Cake

In a sauce pan and on low heat, stir until smooth;
1 cup white sugar
2 cups butter
1 cup water
1 pound chocolate chips, semi-sweet or bitter sweet

In a large bowl beat together;
8 eggs

Add chocolate mixture to the beaten eggs, pour into a prepared spring form pan (lined with foil and greased).  Bake at 350 for 45 - 50 minutes or when toothpick comes out clean.


Here is the recipe I did use: 


Flour-less Chocolate Cake
adapted from several ideas :)

Ingredients needed:
10-12 oz semi-sweet, bittersweet or dark chocolate chips*
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter cut in pieces
1 Tbsp. espresso or strong coffee
1/2 tsp. vanilla
6-7 eggs separated into bowls (medium size to mix)
1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar, plus 2-2 1/2 Tbsp of sugar added to egg whites

1.  Preheat oven to 350
Butter and dust a spring form pan with raw cacao or cocoa*.  I also lined the bottom with parchment paper.
2.   In double boiler or saucepan with medal bowl; melt together chocolate, butter and espresso. Stir smooth.  Take off heat and stir in vanilla.
3.  Mix/cream together egg yokes and 1/4 cup sugar - it should look light and creamy.
4.  In a clean dry bowl mix/beat together egg whites and 2 Tbsp sugar until they form soft peaks.
5.  Combine/ fold together egg yolks with chocolate mixture.
6.  Then fold in half of the egg white then the rest - fold in carefully and do not over mix or beat.  Lightly fold in until a slight bit of whites are still seen.
7.  Place into prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes - it should not feel firm as with other cakes.  Cool completely on a wire rack then remove form.  If you have questions email me or post to comment :)  DELICIOUS!!  I severed with Haagen dazs vanilla or other good quality ice cream and drizzle chocolate on top.

*I've used both however, with the Ghirardelli 11.5 oz - 60% bittersweet chocolate, I added a little more sugar but not much. (dad - likes milk chocolate or semi. "sugar"lol & yuk!)
Cacao vs Cocoa 
Cocoa Powder vs Cacao Powder

1 comment:

Becky said...

Looks wonderful!!! I'll have to try it.