Apple Pastry Bars "Most Delicious!"

I'm guessing since I wasn't able to pick apples this year at Angle Orchard - and I wasn't able to go to Brown's Orchard, it left me still longing for more apple - - something!  I remembered I made this apple bar recipe years ago and loved it.  It took some time searching my recipes - I'm sooo happy I found it.  Honestly, I really can't remember how a came to have the original recipe and I only seem to make it a few times.  I think you'll love them, the bars are great for anytime and any occasion.

Apple Pastry Bars

Apple Pastry Bars

For Crust you'll need:

1 Cup plus 2 Tbsp. shortening*
2-3/4 Cup flour
1 tsp. salt
milk
1 egg yolk slightly beaten (reserve egg white)

1 Cup crushed Wheaties* (for on top of bottom crust before placing apples)

For Filling you'll need:

7-8 Cups thinly sliced apples (I used granny smith)
2/3 Cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice

For Top:

1 egg white (before baking)

1 Cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1-2 tbsp. water
3 tbsp. fine but not ground walnuts

Preheat heat oven to 350
Prepare one 10x15x1 cookie/bun sheet (I used 12x17x1)

Cut shortening in flour and salt until it resembles small peas.  Add enough milk to egg yolk to measure 2/3 cup.  Stir into flour (dough) and mix until pastry almost cleans sides of bowl.  Divide dough into two equal parts.  Shape into flattened rounds on a lightly floured cloth covered board.  (Bottom line if you don't have something to roll dough on it can be done but to large to mess with - you also end up with a tougher crust).
Roll bottom out to fit into pan 10x15 - fold into thirds and place evenly in pan.  Sprinkle crushed Wheaties on top evenly.
Mix filling together and spread over pastry in pan - evenly.  Roll out remaining pastry dough like previous place on top.  With egg white whip into soft peaks and brush over top.  Bake until crust is golden 55-60  -with my oven it didn't take as long (45-50).  Cool on rack - while still warm ice and sprinkle with nuts.  Makes 30 delicious bars.

Enjoy!

* Shortening - I used  Spectrum Organic all vegetable shortening its Non-hydrogenated, or you can use other of your choice.
*Wheaties - I used Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus Multibran Flakes (no high fructose corn syrup).  Or your choice.

Comments

Popular Posts