A Lovely Blue Berry Dessert ~



I enjoy getting my email updates from  Herb Companion Magazine  it is packed full of great things, especially if you love herbs as much as I do.  That's where I found this recipe "Blueberry Cobbler" they had an article on the benefits of berries with some recipes included.  The topping isn't like the usual cobbler recipes, a cake like; it is crunchy like a delicious granola.  I did change out some ingredients and was happy with my substitutions.  A simple recipe to make - here's my ingredients:

Blueberry Cobbler
Preheat oven 375 
Filling:
4 cups blueberries, fresh and place in clean round casserole dish (not greased)

Mix together in separate bowl:
1/2 - 1 cup of Turbinado or coconut sugar (I used 1/3 and could have used less) depending on sweetness of berries.
1 Tbsp of Arrowroot (org. recipe called for 2 tsp corn starch /not enough)
Add to berries in casserole dish.*

Topping:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup barley flour
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
4 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix all the above ingredients except nuts in medium bowl.  It should still be crumbly stir in nuts and place evenly on top of filling.  Bake for 35 minutes or until the juices bubble.  Serve warm or at room temp. 
*I originally used 2 tsp. of arrowroot and it was to juicy I would have preferred not so much that's why I suggested 1 Tbsp.  The links (FYI on some product are links don't necessarily it's just FYI) hopefully are helpful :)  Barley does contain gluten so if you're looking at gluten free substitute accordingly.  I would try buckwheat or sweet sorghum if you like or a gluten free mix.  


Comments

Popular Posts