Broccoli Rabe and Orecchiette Pasta


Of course I didn't have the Orecchiette Pasta (little ear shaped or bowl) - and used Quinoa Roetelle (twisted type).  Quinoa is a delicious gluten free product if you can't or choose not to have wheat.  The Orecchiette Pasta I would have loved to have had and will make one day.  Broccoli Rabe  if you haven't had it is delish - and cooks up very much like a spinach would or other green slight peppery flavor.  I kept mine in the frig wrapped in a damp cotton tee towel like I use to cover my bread doughs.  I had read not to keep it in plastic it heats and turns, it kept great in the damp towel.

Broccoli Rabi and Orecchiette Pasta

Ingredients:

1 lb. pasta
1 lb. broccoli rabi, stems removed (keep for a stock)1 lb seems a lot but it shrinks down.
4-6  spicy Italian sausage links (out of casings and cut in pieces)*
Extra Virgin olive oil
1 can of cannellini beans
1 small jar of sun-dried tomatoes
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. oregano
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Cook paste in salted water (time on package) reserving the cooking water.  Blanching the broccoli rabi in the water helps reduce any bitter taste and you need some of the reserved for the rest of the dish.

Saute the sausage in oil until brown.  Add cannellini beans and sun-dried tomatoes and lastly add broccoli rabi.  Let everything cook through slowly until soft.

Add cooked pasta and a small amount of the reserved water.*  Add red pepper flakes and oregano -  Dish it up with fresh grated cheese and a drizzle olive oil.


*Italian sausage I used Papa Cantella's it was what I could find here that didn't have MSG and it had very little if any grease.  I'm sure you can use a pork free product there are several excellent chicken and turkey sausages if you like.  I also used a mild sausage I would have preferred the hot.

For something different stir in heavy cream if you'd like a creamy sauce - though not needed.

* It made a good amount and I had some left in my pan.  I drizzled a bit of the reserved water on gave it a stir and put in a storage container.

This recipe was found in Safeway's monthly in-store shopping magazine.

Comments

Popular Posts