Grilled- Chili Crusted London Broil with Savory Sweet Potatoes ~



Chili Crusted London Broil 

Can be grilled or broiled for 10 - 15 minutes.  This recipe should serve about 6 - 8 people.  I made enough Chili Spice mix to use another time.  The recipe called for 2 London Broil steaks 1 inch thick.  I use one larger piece that was about 1 and 1/2 inches thick, of course you can make a smaller serving.  I make more when I can and use leftovers in salads or sandwiches.

Chili Spice Mix

1 tbsp chili powder (I used mild)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin (I was out so I used a bit of cardamon and turmeric but not to much)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

Place meat on a large glass platter or waxed paper / parchment and spoon on and rub in coating both sides.  It doesn't over doing but enough to coat.  Let stand 15 minutes or can be placed (sealed) in the frig for up to 24 hours.

A good rule to follow is to allow meat to come up to room temp before grill or broiling.  Grill steak(s) 5 or so inches away from the heat 10-15 minutes turning halfway through.  Let stand about 10 minutes, I allowed mine to rest longer about 15 minutes, then sliced thin as I could with a "sharp" knife at an angle against the grain.  ( \ )

You could use some of the chili mix lightly on fresh vege's you planned to grill as a nice compliment to the London Broil.  I choose a Savory Sweet Potato recipe I found recently in an 2009 issue of Organic Gardening.

Savory Sweet Potatoes w/ Roasted Garlic, Asiago Cheese and Fresh Thyme
(I made half the recipe)

8 large sweet potatoes (approximately 6 lbs.) cleaned
1/2 cup softened butter (local if possible)
16 cloves of roasted garlic (I baked with the potatoes along side in a separate dish or foil - they don't take as long so they can be removed before the potatoes are done or added with the potatoes just before potatoes are done).
1/4 cup fresh thyme, minced
1 cup fresh grated Asiago cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Poke sweet potatoes several times all over with a fork, slather with a few tablespoons of butter and roast until fork tender in a baking dish side by side.  It should take about 40 minutes - cooking time varies with the size of potato.  Remove from oven and allow them to cool before removing the skins and mashing.  Stir in remaining butter and add garlic, thyme and cheese to your taste.  Place the sweet potato mixture in an oven proof dish, grate a bit more cheese over the top, and bake till warmed through, about 30 minutes.  If there's leftovers they freeze well.

Now for what I did! LOL .  .  .

I did everything but the last part - putting them in another dish and baking for 30 minutes.   I removed the skins not long after I took them out of the oven.  You will find that the skins pull off very easily not like regular baked potatoes.  Then smashed them together in a pyrex container (it's what was on hand) and sat them in the oven to keep warm until I served them up.

The dinner was awesome and all served with a nice salad with my Balsamic vinaigrette.


Comments

Popular Posts