All in a day ~

Today in fact!  I spent today in the kitchen - I started it off with gutting and oven steam roasting - 3 sugar pumpkins for pie etc., cleaned the last of the apples up and made apple sauce for later use.  Made turkey stock with fresh legs and back - it turned out delish!  While that was going on started Adzuki beans and rice to stuff another sugar pumpkin for dinner.   So here's the recipe!

My Stuffed Pumpkin

1 Sugar pumpkin or squash
1/2 cup Adzuki Beans (Arrowhead Mills Organic) cooked pkg. directions
1/2 cup Whole Brown Rice (Lundberg Jubilee gourmet blend) cooked pkg. directions
1 lb. ground meat
1 small -medium onion diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. mild chili powder - has a smokey flavor
1/4 - plus cayenne pepper (to your liking)
salt and pepper to taste

The day before or early in the morning prepare beans (by soaking over night or bring to a bowl and soak for 1-3 hours, then cook).  Prepare rice early, day before or early enough that all that is left is cutting a top in the pumpkin; removing seeds and stringy insides and cooking the ground meat with onions and garlic.  

Okay  say the beans and rice are ready  - pumpkin is cleaned.  Preheat to 375 - brown ground meat with onion and garlic.  Depending on the type of meat drain.  I used 80/20 ground and scooped out with a spoon with drain holes.  Mixed with beans and rice - scooped into hulled pumpkin and baked in my dutch oven adding water up to an inch of the pumpkin.  I then covered and roasted until pumpkin was cooked through and tender.  It took awhile and I'm getting a temperature gauge for my oven.  1 1/2 - 2 hours.  It was worth the wait!




Slice and serve ~
I wanted to show you how I write recipes as I go. I have many such pieces of paper - this time I put a name to it!
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts