GF Saltine Crackers ~



As the story goes (and not as the stomach turns, umm) my Dad likes saltines and decided he wasn't doing wheat for awhile.  Just to see if it would make a difference with his digestive health.  It did help once before but I'll leave that for another time - possibly.  :)

So soup was going to be dinner and a request for saltines without wheat.  Actually, the question put to me was; "Is there any type of cracker you can get without wheat?"  Answer, "I could make some!"

And I did!  After locating a recipe, as I've made crackers before though not "saltines," I thought I'd look for specific.  This easy recipe and very good tasting found here Elizabeth Barbone's GF Baking.

The dough is light and crisp like a saltine, Dad thought they tasted better.  :) I agree.


GF Saltine's

1 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour (org. calls for cornstarch)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum*
6 Tbsp. cold butter
1/2 cup cold water, more if to dry
Kosher salt for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425 F with rack (s) in the center of the oven.

Combine all dry ingredients and whisk together.  You can use a food processor - I just placed in a large bowl that I normally use for making pie dough cutting the butter in with a pastry cutter.  Once butter is cut in (butter remaining the size of small peas) drizzle in water and mix to form dough.  If dough is to much on the dry side add a bit more cool water.  Check this with you hands.
Once dough is ready place between to large sheets of parchment 12 x 16.  I dusted slightly with white rice flour, it was rolling okay but better after dusting.  Roll into square or rectangle 1/16 inches thick.
Remove top parchment and cut with pizza wheel into squares.  Leave dough on parchment (important) and side onto baking sheet; leaving the dough as is after cutting.  Sprinkle with Kosher salt.  Saltines will be baking on parchment and separate on there own.  Cool ~
I rolled out a bit to thin and thought I'd remove that which wasn't going to fit on baking sheet.  (mistake) In turn dropping that onto the floor loosing 1/4 + to the trash.  :(  I won't do that again.  :)

Bake until crackers are golden brown around 20 minutes.  I left mine in a little longer.  Remove pan when ready and cool on rack.  Part if needed.  Original recipe here.

*I made them a second time 4/26/18 I don't know I waited so long, instead of xanthan gum I substituted with Psyllium Husk I used 1 scant teaspoon and it worked fine.  I also didn't drop them this time but a few were a bit thicker and I had to put them back in to bake longer.  Very good - Oh! I forgot to prick them with a fork.  Still were very good.

Not that we have to have "bread or crackers" with everything - it's nice to know you can make your own and without wheat if you choose.

The saltines were awesome with my chicken soup!
Excellent with Tomato Jam recipe is here.


Another great Gluten Free baking spot is:

The Art Of Gluten Free Baking  and again Elizabeth Barbone's Gluten Free Baking.



Comments

Popular Posts