Moroccan Couscous with Saffron

Changed up ~


This is a vegan dish from Alicia Silverstone that came in the Extraordinary Health Magazine I get at our local Health-food Store, Lee's Rite-Way Market.

Moroccan Couscous with Saffron

Serves 6

Ingredients:

2 Cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/4" to 1/2" cubes
2 cups yellow onion, large dice
1-1/2 cups carrots, cut into 1/4" to 1/2" cubes
1-1/2 cups zucchini, cut into 3/4" cubes
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt
1-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp Earth Balance Butter
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp saffron threads
1-1/2 cups whole wheat couscous
2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place the squash, onion, carrots and zucchini on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.  Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning once with a spatula about midway through.

While the vegetables roast, bring the broth to a boil in saucepan.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter, remaining 1/2 tsp pepper, cumin, saffron and salt to taste.  Cover the pan and steep for 15 minutes.

Scrape the roasted vegetables and their juices into a large bowl and add the couscous.  Bring vegetable broth back to a boil, and pour over the couscous mixture all at once.  Cover tightly with a plate and allow to stand for 15 minutes.  Add scallions, toss the couscous and vegetables with a fork and serve.

Changed up ~

I didn't have the couscous or saffron, I used Farro in place of couscous and Mexican saffron (Safflower).  Since I'm not a vegan or vegetarian - though enjoy much of the recipes I wanted protein and had a couple chicken breast I needed to use up.  Broth was chicken in place of vegetable and I don't use Earth Balance I prefer real butter but didn't use any in this recipe, just the extra virgin olive oil.
I followed the recipe exact except for changes listed and since I used Farro that needed a longer cooking time; I used a large skillet that I cooked my chicken in.  I sliced chicken into tenders and cooked until golden and done in a large skillet with a bit of olive oil.  Remove to cutting board when done.  Clean up any excess oil.  Place broth in pan/skillet add seasonings and Farro.  While that is cooking to package directions cut chicken in chunks.  When Farro is done, stir in all the rest of the ingredients.  Serve.

This recipe and others can be found here.   Extraordinary Health Magazine vol.21

Comments

Popular Posts