Eat Safford!

In support of our local Farmer's Market and businesses in town, I would like to encourage everyone to eat shop locally!

There's nothing that makes your mouth smile more than farm fresh! :D  And, I have to tell you mine was smiling - yes, inspired I was to say the least. When I go to the market I like to purchase something from everyone.  Our market is at the beginning of the season but I've found some "sweet" goodness there.  One can only imagine what's in store when the season is in full swing!

Below are a couple of pictures from one vender (John and Jane - San Juan Diego Farms).  I have also been purchasing (throughout since last season) fresh eggs from Doris and Linda.  Linda (Ante Linda's) also supplies us with fresh eggs, raw goat milk and cheese.


John and Jane had wonderful greens I used in the salad pictured below of kale, curly endive lettuce, romaine, and young onions.  Also pictured is broccoli and green spring garlic, or at least I didn't cut up just yet or ate.
Have you ever seen such a beautiful head of cabbage?  You can't find leaves like this in stores and I'm planning on stuffing those babies!


So being inspired -  looking at what I had, I decided on a Frittata to use up a few organic zucchini's I previously purchased.

Frittata

spring garlic cut lengthwise in thin strips
small organic zucchini diced
2-3 farm fresh eggs beat/whipped
grated parmesan cheese (guyerue or cotija might be nice)
butter for sautéing or olive oil




Saute spring garlic and zucchini in butter til tender, over medium heat.


Add beaten eggs and cook at you would an omelet, add cheese when egg starts to set.


Flip cooking the other side. I do one more flip after that to make sure its cooked through.


Served with a fresh salad made with kale, curly lettuce, romaine, young purple onion, orange slices, fresh goat cheese and drizzled on top "infused" tangerine balsamic vinegar from Genevieve's Market Place here in Safford.  Genevieve's is wonderful for us here and if you didn't want to use butter for your sauteing you can use butter infused olive oil or regular from Genevieve's.  (Shop Local) :) YUM!!
.  .  .  .

When I started my original blog RefractedLite (of which I need to update), I was hoping to inspire others, then I started Savoring Flavors to list recipes mostly for my kids hoping it would be useful and inspire them to cook.  It's been awhile since I felt "inspired" myself to cook.  It takes more time to set up shots and on a sour note my camera lens has been on the fritz so it's a process. ;(  Yesterday I was very busy but got inspired with my market finds.
What's the best thing about shopping locally?  You get to know the people you are purchasing from, making a friend or two, and what you are purchasing.  It's nice to see a bug or two and nothing taste better than farm fresh.  

Comments

Popular Posts