Caesar Salad ~


The original  Caesar was created by Caesar Cardini an Italian restauranteur while in Tijuana, Mexico early 1920's.  It's been said that he just grabbed what he had and wa lah!  It is also noted that later on his brother Alex used anchovies instead of Worcestershire Sauce.  I love salad as does my "boys" a favorite being the Caesar.  This recipe I originally saw years ago on Martha Stewart - in which she had a quest on and they not only made this salad but share the origins.  I prefer the anchovies!  :)  Though there seems to be a few different ways its made ~ even on Martha.

Below is the recipe I used found here.






Ingredients needed:  

For Croutons -

6 slices (1") ciabatta or another crusty white bread, cut into 3/4" or so cubes ( I used a baguette)
3 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 TB fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
Coarse salt (to taste)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium size bowl toss bread cubes with the rest of crouton ingredients that have been mixed together.  I stirred the oil, garlic and parsley - tossed with cubes then with a pinch or to of Kosher salt sprinkled over the cubes and toss one last time.  Into the oven and toasted until a golden brown but not baked to hard.  About 10 -15 minutes, turning a few times.


For the salad -

2 cloves of garlic each cut in half
2 large egg yolks
1 TB Dijon mustard
4-5 anchovies
2 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper - to taste
3 TB extra virgin olive oil
2 heads of romaine lettuce, wash dried throughly and torn into 2- inch pieces
Grated Parmesan cheese - to taste


In a large wooden bowl (as much as I would love that I only had a pretty white bowl to use), using a wooden spoon (I used a fork and a wooden press for pecan tassie crust) lol, mash garlic halves to a fine paste (or as close to).


Stir in egg yolks* and Dijon.


Add anchovies and grind to a paste.




Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.


Slowly stir in olive oil mixing well until dressing is creamy.


Add Romaine (I cut the lettuce instead, have torn before to me either works).



Toss with dressing and sprinkle with Parmesan* tossing well.


Serve with croutons.



*eggs - some people prefer to use pasteurized I just use farm fresh eggs with a good shell.  When the shell on a egg is harder than the usual paper thin, it is what protects the inside.  Also, sometimes you might get an egg after cracking it open my gram would say was flat.  It's still good just not as fresh.  If your in doubt use it for baking or making something else.  Oh and if you are concern with smaller children eating this find pasteurized or fix a different salad.  I grew up on fresh eggs and I'm still here.  :)

*Parmesan I've used shavings which I do prefer with Caesar but had grated I needed for something else.  The grated I tossed in with whereas the shaved I would have used it as with the croutons.

Comments

Popular Posts