Eggplant, Tomato, and Smoked, Mozzarella Tart

Saved pages ~



I save food magazines and I'm not sure why?  When we moved back out west they were boxed up and brought, taking valuable space that could have been use for other important things. :) So over the past couple years I've gone through all I've toted over the years and started tearing out pages of recipes I've kept the magazines for.  Taking the magazines - I don't even know why I kept,  to the Library here or leaving them in waiting rooms of various places.  I'm happy with myself and disappointed it's taken this long!!  As with many of the "recipes" I have - the pictured tart is no different being one of the once kept Cooking Light magazines, dating October of 2004! I guess I needed the eggplants! lol

That brings me to my little garden beauties - BlackBeauty Eggplant - that is!  I have a couple plants that haven't gone hog wild and I'm not sure if they're to be larger - it did say egg shaped - whatever  - they taste great!  Now, that I had the eggplant, it was on to the tart ~  :D



Note on eggplant according to the magazine page.  Salting the eggplant draws out some of the bitter flavor and moisture.  Less moisture in turn minimizes the amount of oil the eggplant will absorb.  This dish has a crispy cracker-like crust, a nice contrast to the tender eggplant.

The first thing you needed to do - besides gathering all the ingredients - is make the dough for the tart and chill for around 15 minutes.  You will also need tart pan with a removable bottom, however if you don't have one I'm sure a close baking dish would be fine, then invest in a tart pan with removable bottom they are great.  :) sorry long winded.

Crust

1 cup all-purpse flour (or gluten free)
1 TB toasted wheat germ  (I'm sure you could use flax)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 TB olive oil
cooking spray (or lightly oil with a good brush) for tart pan

1.  Preheat oven to 400.
2.  To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, level with a knife.  Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through 1/4 tsp slat) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; make a well in center of mixture.  Add water and 1 TB oil, stirring to form a soft dough.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times.  Gently press dough into a 4 - inch circle on plastic wrap; cover and chill 15 minutes.
3.  Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface.  Un-wrap dough, and place chilled dough on plastic wrap.  Cover with 2 additional sheets overlapping plastic wrap.  Roll dough, still covered, unto an 11 - inch circle.  Remove top sheets of plastic wrap.  Fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 10 - inch round removable-bottom tart pan coated with cooking spray.  Remove remaining plastic wrap.  Press dough against bottom and sides of pan.  Pierce bottom and sides of dough with a fork; bake at 400 for 10 minutes.  Cool completely on a wire rack.

Filling

1 (1-pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/4 -inch thick slices; or slices as pictured with my small     Black-beauty eggplants
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 TB chopped fresh basil
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh mint
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 6 ounces)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella cheese, divided
2 TB grated fresh Parmesan cheese


4.  To prepare filling, arrange eggplant on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels.  Sprinkle eggplant with 1/2 tsp salt; let stand 15 minutes.  Pat dry with paper towels, brush eggplant with 1/2 tsp oil.  Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.  Stack eggplant slices on a plate, cover with plastic wrap.  Let eggplant stand 7 minutes to steam.  (If you don't want to use plastic wrap cover with parchment or plate but, not directly on touching eggplants.   At this point I would have had prepped or started preparing the rest of ingredients.




5.  Over medium heat, heat a large skillet (directions used a non-stick but I don't use them) coated with cooking spray or a good brush with olive oil.  Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in 1/4 tsp salt, basil, oregano, mint and tomatoes.



6.  Sprinkle 2 TB smoked mozzarella on bottom of baked crust - you can see what I did, obiously I couldn't seem to sprinkle 2 TB of grated ~ lol  I just lightly placed the cheese on top.


Now layer on top of the cheese eggplant and tomato mixture in the crust.  "Sprinkle" with 6 TB of smoked mozzarella (the rest) and Parmesan.  Bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.  Cut into 8 wedges.  Yield; 4 servings (that is serving size two wedges a piece).




Served with a fresh salad!


What I would suggest, and with any recipe is read through carefully.  This looks more daunting than it is.  If you get your ingredients together and prep the cheeses and vegetables.  Everything else goes quickly.  Directions has you preparing the crust and baking first then working on the filling.  Do that.  While the dough is chilling you can work on something else like getting the plastic wrap ready etc.  Hope you try this, I plan on making it again ~ Delish!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have or let me know what you think ~

Comments

Popular Posts