Not Your Ordinary Meatloaf!

As with a few recent posts - this recipe I found several years back the only difference is - I've made it a few times and each time loved it.  Monday I decided to make it, though I didn't want to go through my box of recipes, so I looked on line with what I remembered.  I found it but the recipe was now listed as being made with turkey.  So out the box came and on to a delicious meatloaf!

Karina's Meatloaf

1 3/4 lbs. organic grass fed free-range ground beef
1 small sweet or red onion, peeled
1 medium to large carrot, washed and trimmed
1 smallish green bell pepper, cored and seeded - or 1 mild chili pepper, such as Anaheim or banana
4-5 cloves fresh peeled garlic
2/3 cup tomato ketchup - organic
1 TB of steak sauce, or Worcestershire sauce (I used Pickapeppa, has a similar taste a tad thicker)
1 TB agave nectar maple syrup, or molasses (I used maple)
2 organic free-range eggs or omit for egg-free (I used the eggs)
1 scant cup Crunchy Golden Crumbs (without the oil), gluten free rolled oats, or your favorite gluten free bread crumbs  (I used bread in the past & most recent Uncle Sam's cereal with flax) lol
A small pinch of nutmeg (I used freshly grated)
A good pinch or two of cumin
1tsp dried basil
1-2 tsp Italian or French herbs- oregano, parsley, thyme, sage, rosemary

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Put ground beef into a large bowl and using a fork or spoon, break it apart a bit.




Roughly chop the vegetables into the same sized chunks and place them into a food processor; add the garlic cloves, pulse until the veggies are uniformly diced - fine- not too chunky; add to meat.  I did this before without using a food processor, I just used a very good knife!  :)  This time I use my old cheap-y processor - I didn't care for it but it was doable.  Add veggies to meat. Toss lightly with spoon or fork to quickly distribute the veggies.


Add the catchup, agave, eggs (if using) crumbs, herbs and spices.  Mix it all up- but try not to over mix it (it makes for a dense loaf).  If the mixture is to dry, add a little more catchup.  If it's to wet, add more crumbs.


Spoon the meatloaf mixture into a loaf pan and firmly press into place, smoothing the top.  Obviously I choose not to use a loaf pan.  :)
Bake in a preheated oven for about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes.  Use a meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature - it should reach 160 degrees.  Pour off the excess fat and allow the cooked loaf to cool for ten minutes or so before slicing and serving.

If you like a sauce on your meatloaf, pour it onto the meatloaf half way through baking time and cover loosely with a piece of foil.

Sauce

1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup real maple syrup, or molasses (I used a mix)
A dash of mustard, and or balsamic vinegar (I used balsamic)
A dash of steak sauce, Worcestershire or chile sauce, to taste (I use pickapeppa sauce)
A pinch of nutmeg and curry or cumin to taste ( I use cumin)

The sauce was awesome but in all the excitement of the meatloaf I forgot to snap a picture!



I had mine with broccoli and also slices of cantaloupe - everyone else with salad.

Original recipe was found here but now with turkey and check out Karina's Meatloaf Pie.  The recipe above is so yummy I can't imagine changing it and there wasn't any leftovers for the pie.  Next time!
Karina has a wonderful gluten free site.
And for just some possible interest on the spelling of ketchup, catchup, and catsup - check here; it's one of many interesting site on the subject.  I just used "ketchup."  Enjoy ~

Comments

Popular Posts