Roasted Pear - Butternut Soup w/ Crumbled Stilton

Yummmm ~

I didn't have any butternut and there was none to be found anywhere around here!  No problem use other delicious squash!


LOL - as normal for me, the recipe has been floating around in one of my many files.  This flavorful soup is out of the Oct/Nov 2006 issue of Eating Well.

Nothing was changed in this recipe except for - I doubled it, I was short 2 pears and used apples, I only use 2 tomatoes (it's what I had and I don't thick more would have been better), the broth I used was bone broth and unsalted broth (both chicken).

2 ripe pears, peeled, quartered and cored
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2 inch chunks
2 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
1 large leek, pale green and white parts only, slice lengthwise, wash throughly and slice (about 1/4" slices)
2 + cloves of garlic, crushed
2 TB extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt, divided (I used Kosher)
Freshly ground pepper to taste
4 cups vegetable broth, or reduced sodium broth dividend
2/3 cup crumbled Stilton or other blue veined cheese
1 TB thinly sliced fresh chives or scallion greens (it was raining so I didn't make it to the garden)

1. Preheat oven to 400 F.


2.  Combine pears (apples), squash, tomatoes, leek(s), garlic, in a large bowl and with drizzle oil, add 1/4 tsp salt and pepper; toss to coat.  Spread evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet.


Roast, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 40 - 55 minutes.  Let cool slightly.


3.  Place half the vegetables and 2 cups of broth in a blender; puree until smooth.  (If you double go with quartering vegetables etc.


Add to a pot each batch of puree and stir in remaining salt.


4.  Cook the soup over medium - low heat, stirring, until hot, about 10 minutes.


When heated through, divide among bowls and garnish with cheese and chives (or scallion greens).  Original recipe serves 6 with 1-1/3 cups each, give or take.


This cheese was worth the find and price so smooth and delicious!  If you're a fan of blue cheese this is the one and if you don't care so much for it - it's the one.  No bite and perfect for this soup.


I severed it up with Rosemary Focaccia from Cottage Bakery in town.

Note on the squash.  The butternut would have been easier to peel since it didn't have the ridges other squash has.  Other squash is definitely doable and has a delicious flavor too!  I used, Gold Acorn, Delicata, and the small squash might be a red kuri (miss labeled but yummy).

Comments

Popular Posts