Spaghetti Squash with Jalapeño Cream

This year I took advantage of the Produce Powwow we were blessed with quality and savings. Spaghetti squash is something I don't normally purchase, though I love many types of squash, spaghetti never was something I was interested in.  We ended up with three very large ones and I surfed the web of different recipes.  This recipe is one that would be perfect for a Mexican Restaurant.  It was definitely a hit and one I know I'll be making again.  Hey church pot luck!  Well to be fair I needed to use a few of the many many Jalapeños I got at the Powwow ~


Spaghetti Squash with Jalapeño Cream

1 spaghetti squash (around 3 lbs)
2 cups milk
2-3 Jalapeños (extra depending on heat), stemmed, seeded and chopped
2 Tbsp flour or gluten free
1 tsp salt
1 cup shredded jack cheese - I used pepper jack that's what I had

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.  Place cut side down on a lightly buttered baking sheet bake until tender when flesh is pierced with a fork, 30 -40 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm milk and Jalapeños until bubbles form along the edge of the pan.  Remove and let sit for 15 minutes then strain and discard Jalapeños.

When squash is cool enough to handle, using a large spoon scrape the strands out of the skin and into a large bowl.

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter.  Whisk in flour, salt and cook, whisking until flour smells cooked about 3 minutes. (Original says like piecrust)  Slowly pour in Jalapeño infused milk while whisking.  Reduce heat to medium and continue whisking until mixture thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.

Pour mixture over squash and stir to combine.  Transfer mixture to a buttered 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until bubbling and brown on tope, about 30 minutes.


The original recipes from Sunset the photo looked beautiful, of course I had to make a little extra, it does keep delish for some time!  A couple of years ago my husband and I went to a restaurant in Tucson and I ordered there Green Chili Mac n Cheese.  I made that last night infusing the milk with Hatch green chili! Loved it!

A note on the powwow - I don't know how you feel about the idea of rescued food.  Please take time to check out the site it will possible change how you see things and hopefully for the good.  There is no reason for any to go hungry.  The produce I purchased both organic and conventional was 60 pounds for 10 dollars.  You and can, dehydrate, freeze just eat!  We should feel shame with the waste.
Check them out Borderlands  or the click above on Produce Powwow.


Comments

Popular Posts