Grapefruit Cake ~

Grapefruits are ~ Oh, so refreshing!  Good for you too and can be used in many recipes, as the cake below.  I also sipped most of the day fresh juice over ice and natural sparkling water, perfect for a super hot day!


The first time I ever heard of grapefruit cake was from my cousin Colleen when she with a friend came out west for a look around and short visit.  It sounded so good though I never got around to trying it until today.  My Dad was given quite a load of fresh grapefruits; I took a few.  Almost immediately cake jumped into my thoughts and I googled for a recipe to try. -- Well don't you?  :)



I found many that were interesting but used mostly Smitten Kitchen and an or idea or more from Unwritten Recipes.  Please read through this recipe before starting to make sure I have it right.  :)


Grapefruit Cake

Prepare a loaf pan with a light grease of oil, coconut oil or butter then line with parchment. I like how it worked out - seen in pictures below as UR did hers.  Less messy you will find out when you continue on.  Preheat 350 with rack placement centered.

Sift together and set aside.

1 1/2 cups of unbleached flour (I used Arrowhead Mills)
2 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Mix together.

1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
3/4 cup sugar*

Add to yogurt mix,

3 extra large eggs (I used 4 large)
1 heap TB grated grapefruit zest (one very large)*
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut oil (melted) you can use butter or oil

*Quick note I mixed sugar and zest together before mixing with the yogurt.

Once mixed together add your dry ingredients, batter will be thinker than mixing a regular say boxed cake.  Pour into prepared loaf pan.  Bake for 50 minutes.

For syrup.

In a small sauce pan mix,
Grapefruits are Awh ~ refreshing!
1/3 cup of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
1 TB sugar

Heat until sugar disappears and liquid is clear - set aside until cake is ready.  When you take the cake out - after testing with a toothpick etc.  wait 10 before pouring all around on tip the syrup which will soak in.  I used a wooden skewer and poked small wholes in the cake but not necessary and that's why the parchment placed like so works; it holds all the syrup.  I didn't even remove the cake from the pan until it cooled and after I put on the glaze.

For glaze.

1 cup powdered sugar
2 TB fresh squeezed grapefruit juice

Mix together until all smooth when cake was cooled some I drizzled with glaze.  I left it in the pan and it worked fine at this point leave it in or take it out for the glaze to to be drizzled.  Serve when ready.  This cake is very light tasting not light a heavy pound cake, very moist.  The grapefruit is healthy and the cake - not so much but I did have a small slice and it was very good.  Maybe I'll revise it down the road so I can have more ~



Batter is thicker than a box cake but you will love it light moist texture.  Or maybe not I did.


I left it in the loaf pan with parchment while pouring the syrup and later when a bit cooler for glaze.


After cooled mostly or completely remove from pan.




Looks delish and is!


Enjoy ~

On a different note, it takes me a long time to post anymore since I messed up the laptop, I wasn't able to edit or post photos from my camera as before.  I don't have a clue when that will change, most of what I did involved my camera.  Anyway, so my posting goes from phone to blog to laptop etc... with pictures being inconsistant.  Very frustrating but whatever, now my camera is possibly on a permanent hiatus, sad but true.  So getting to the point if you are waiting for me to post something in particular that was on Instagram or Facebook drop me a note and I'll try to move it along.  VB

Comments

Popular Posts