Patty Pan Squash "Spiced" Oven Fries ~


I know you've seen them, but have you ever had them?  Patty Pan a summer squash that resembles what as a kid I would have called a fly saucer!  The skins aren't tough and they can vary in color.  I've sliced them and steamed them, sautéed them, threw them in a soup or sauce.  Roasting is really good, tossed with olive oil, salt and herbs but this is the first time I've made oven fries and I loved them!


First you need to wash them up and pat dry, around 3 lbs - I used about 4, cut in half and remove any seeds and stringy substance that might be there.  Cut in french fry type shape as close to same thickness as you can so to cook evenly.


You now make the spice mix to toss with your Patty "fries," or do this prior to - frankly make a mess of it!  This mix would be great tossed with sweet potatoes etc.  I found this recipe here - a wonderful blog for wellness, or use one below, but please check the blog "And Love It To" out.

Spice Mix

1 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika (I used Frontier Applewood Smoked Paprika)
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Smoked Cayenne ( I used regular and some more)*
Mix spices together.

3 Tbs Olive Oil or Avocado, Grapeseed - something with a light / neutral flavor.
Toss oil with Patty Pan Fries and then sprinkle evenly tossing in bowl.  I always love that in bowl.

Bake in preheated oven 450 degrees.


Spread evenly onto sheets I used two so as not to over lap.  Not as above this was after fries were done and mixed around - some eating - you get it.  Oh, please ignore pans and (photo's) they aren't the best looking but used for out side grilling and roasting.  You can say they are Vik seasoned. Photo


Photo's on the other hand all have been with my cell for sometime do to the proverbial technical difficulties!  It was delish!  Oh! bake till golden and crispy 15 -20 minutes.

*The regular cayenne was fine it had plenty of smokiness with the smoked paprika.

Comments

Popular Posts