Gluten-Free Banana, Fig and Walnut Scones ~


Sometimes I just get hungry for a scone!  Of recent - being that others are trying to stick to a specific diet this recipe looked good.  I actually like gluten and grain free foods myself and have made over the years  a variety of tasty dishes and baked goods.  This particular recipe I looked at on Yummly.  I didn't open for me and honestly once you've made scones there's no magical recipe for changing it up and using other ingredients.  The recipe with link above did not use figs and I did not use the same amount of banana I think it would have been to rubbery (texture) and I used more GF oat flour it was to wet. I also used half cream with whole milk and vinegar (opt) - or just use half and half, the recipes called for reduced fat.  I also used demerara sugar rather than granulated sugar - coconut sugar would have been good also.

I heated the oven to 400 degrees.

In medium bowl (I have a one I like to use for scones and pie crusts since it works well with pastry cutter). You probably have a favorite as well.  Mix dry ingredients.

1 3/4 cup of GF oat flour
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
4 tsp baking powder sifted into flour mix
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup demerara sugar (or your choice)*

6 Tbs. cold butter sliced or cubed

3/4 cup milk or other as above or your choice.*
1 egg
1 banana about medium size (mashed well)

1/2 chopped walnuts
1/4 -1/2 cup dried chopped figs (or apricots, dates) optional

After mixing your dry ingredients together break in butter with a pastry cutter, for or hand until it looks a course corn meal - there about. As you would a piecrust. Toss in nuts and figs if using.

In small bowl smash banana to almost a liquid stir in milk and one egg. Make a well in the dry mix and pour in liquid.  I use a rice spoon or rubber spatula to combine but use a light hand to not make a tough dough.  This dough is wet and you still might need to add a bit of flour.  I chose to use an large ice cream scoop with slide and not cut as I usually do.  Placing each scoop on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  This worked out well.  Baking for about 20 minutes rack was at third from bottom.  Let cool and enjoy!

*I wanted to mention you can use monk fruit sweetener or a stevia but it usually comes with Erythritol and I don't care for the after taste I get and there is pros and cons to the side effects of the Erythritol so I'd rather use something else.
On the milk you can use buttermilk but I like the creaminess of whole cream or half and half.  Buttermilk isn't required though I've used it in scones before.  I find I like adding the apple cider vinegar unless you can find whole fat buttermilk as in Ohio.

I would make my version again.  Though I would have liked to have at least seen the full original recipe.  :)

Comments

Popular Posts