Berry - Zucchini Birthday Cake w/Lemon Buttercream Icing

It seems like I've been on a very long winter with only now spring, it seems funny to me to be thinking of this "summertime cake." But it's sooooo~ good I'll take some summer. Maybe just the cake ~

The recipe I'm sharing is from EPOC's weekly Newspaper - A Cake for Summer Celebrations article by Rachel Dymski August 11-17, 2021 

I had to go back to 2021 to find my pictures of this cake. I did in fact make it soon after I saw the recipe!


Pretty no matter what direction you're looking!


I'm one that does like to eat seasonally. I agree that it is a healthier way to eat, however, it isn't always doable. And with that in mind you can take advantage of unseasonal in which berries show up in your local store seemingly anytime. I am a coinsure of berries, so I don't mind it bit taking advantage of out of season berries for this cake! Enjoy ~

Berry-Zucchini Birthday Cake with Lemon Icing
Makes one 8-, 2layer cake

3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup applesauce
2 cups white cane sugar (I used a bit less)
2 cups shredded fresh zucchini, patted dry with a towel
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups blueberries and blackberries, mixed

For The Lemon Buttercream 

1 cup butter, room temperature
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two 8-inch round cake pans. 

In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, vanilla, applesauce, and sugar. Beat together with a hand mixer until well combined. Fold in zucchini.

Slowly stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Do not overmix. Gently fold in the berries. Divide the batter evenly between prepared cake pans.

Bake for 35 - 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes in the pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely before frosting.

For Icing

Combine the butter, sugar, and salt and beat until well combined. Add the lemon juice and vanilla and continue to beat for another 3-4 minutes, or until creamy. Fold in zest. Frost when ready.








Comments

Popular Posts