Roasting A Turkey On Your Grill ~ w/ Raspberry Glaze

Okay, November we had a turkey for Thanksgiving.  December some how we ended up with three turkeys - roasting one in the oven and freezing two.  (That's my math for the day-LOL)  Stores were running with great deals at that time, one of the turkeys we actually got free by purchasing a certain amount of food.   When planning for future events, whether it be company or prepared readiness; when there's a deal where you can stock up with food or other needed items do so when you can.  Also, it can be used to bless someone else in need.

A few days ago I took one out to let it thaw in the refrigerator. I've been wanting to roast one outside for some time now - that is a whole turkey - since I've made Grilled Turkey Breast several times and have been very happy with the out come.  However, I would have been hard to marinade the whole bird, so I thought I'd try roasting it on the grill and use a glaze.  So Googling I went and this is what I came up with.

Grilled Turkey With Red Currant / Raspberry Glaze


So here's the bird all thawed and weighing in at 17.5 pounds!  After looking on line most started their birds based with:  butter, garlic salt and pepper.  I then made a Red Currant / Raspberry Sauce (glaze) for finishing.  The recipe I saw the glaze was drizzle on at serving. 

After 1st basing with glaze.
I chose to based the last bit of roasting a couple time, and it paid off.  For the size it took four hours at 325 - 330 degrees.



It was the moistest turkey I've had since Thanksgiving, Christmas of last year - well, maybe ever!

First Baste

1/2 stick of butter
2 Tbsp garlic salt
2 tsp. freshly coarse ground black pepper
I put all ingredients in a small pan and mixed together as the butter was melting.  Once melted I sat aside.

Red Currant - Raspberry Glaze

1/2 cup red currant jelly (homemade from OH) :)
1/2 cup seedless raspberry preserves*
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1Tbsp. Triple Sec or other orange flavor liquor (I used 1-2)
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce*
1 Tbsp. dry mustard*
1 tsp. ground ginger*
1 tsp. fine sea salt

Start by rinsing and drying the turkey cleaning off then removing any extra fat, the tail piece and plastic tie for the legs.  While it was sitting on a cookie tray I went to pre-heat our gas grill on high setting.  I then took one of my racks and rubbed olive oil on it and all on the bottom side of the turkey.  Before placing it on the rack I also based it with a coat of first baste.  I then placed it on the rack and based the rest of the bird.  I place the turkey on the middle of the grill for indirect heat roasting. I turned off the middle burner and lowered the first and back burners to low-med.  I took time to watch the temp drop to reach 325- 330 degrees. 

I checked it off and on while roasting and I would brush the first baste with a coat.  About an hour or so before it was done I brushed on the glaze and again about a half an hour before I removed it from the heat.  The temp read 170.  I then let it set on the counter for 20-30 minutes before slicing.

I served it up with fresh steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes with rainbow Swiss chard.

Recipe was adapted from Paul Kirk's Grilled Wild Duck recipe.

*I used raspberry preserves that I made but it had seeds so I took the desired amount out and warmed it.  Place it in a mesh strainer and used the strained portion.  I didn't have Worcestershire sauce, long story and aren't they all LOL  Then plan was to make my own but ran out of time!  so next time.  Dry mustard I used a little Grey Poupon (it's what I had).  For the ginger I used crystallized ginger that I grated, you can also you fresh.

Again it was moist and delicious! While worth the time ~

Great Turkey Tips for Grilling!


Comments

Popular Posts