Pulled Pork Sandwich w/ Tangy Slaw 1 & 2 ~


Seasoned about 4 pounds of pork shoulder with dry rub and let stand for about a half hour or so. Then placed in my Emeril 4 in 1 cast iron smoker and place on/in preheated grill for slow roasting.  If your gas grill has three burners turn off the middle burner so the heat only coming from outer burners will circle around with indirect heat.  Once grill is at the temperature you will be cooking with - place your cast iron (Dutch Oven) in the middle - centered between the burners that are lit.  Again,  heat isn't directly under your meat and it will roast heating from around.  You want the temp to be around 325 -350 depending on how long you'd like to slow roast or how hot your grill goes.   Roast until meat shreds apart easily.




(Just now trying to finish up this post it sat as a draft for 2 years, geez)

After I shredded the pork I put it back into the roaster to keep warm and soak up any of the juices in the cast iron roaster.   It was then served up with spicy Cole Slaw and a fresh Kaiser roll!  Boy Howdy!!


After looking at the picture above, I noticed something and remember something too about the slaw; it has a different dressing! I didn't have time to let the spicy dressing rest and made up a tangier version of  what I would call a regular dressing.  Boy, lol - I really need to stay on top of my recipe posts!  I was just sitting here looking and noticed.  Thank the Lord I remembered being that it does look different. :)


First time I made the above was July of 2013!  Second time, and, I don't know why it took this long, was this past August for my dad's birthday.   I'm sharing a few new pictures since I changed up the way it was made.   I used an electric pressure cooker that a dear friend gave us.  It was never used and I've been using it since often trying different things.  I love the fact that it not only produces tasty food, its also fast.  My brother has one and he used both of ours to do his ribs.  Each pressure cooker held 2 racks of ribs that he cut in half.  It worked awesome; I just prepared the pulled pork earlier.  For both pulled porks I used the same rub, however, #1 - I put on the rub letting it set for about 45 minutes to an hour before roasting at 350 degrees for 4-4 1/2 hours.  #2 - I put the rub on in the evening the day before and in the morning took it out to bring to room temp and when ready to cook, it took only about 30 minutes, if I can remember that far back.  lol   Once cooked of course I added the BBQ.  I added it to the pulled pork on my sandwich but its up to you if you perfer to mix in when done or like I did.  Either way yummy.





Served up as above with Spicy Cole Slaw on a Kaiser Roll!




Pulled Pork

4 - 4!/2 pound pork butt / shoulder (one and the same)
Rinse off and pat dry, trim any excess amount of fat, sprinkle all over with rub and let set for 30 minutes or long (over night).   Using a cast iron pot or roaster with lid.

If roasting in the oven set temperature to 350 degrees or grill (directions above) 325 - 350 degrees (ours tends to be very hot) until done enough for shredding 4 - 4 1/2 hours for either.

If using a pressure cooker do s manufacture has directed.  I got it all ready, put lid on closed to lock and closed steam valve, pushed stew button that set at 30 minutes.

Rub:

1/4 cup Kosher salt
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 TB plus 2 tsp smoked paprika
2 TB granulated sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground dry mustard (I used hot)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ginger

Mix blending together well.

Sauce:

1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 TB onion powder
1 TB chili powder
2 TB tomato paste
1- 1/2 TB dark molasses
2 tsp ground pepper

In a med to med lrg. sauce pan bring ketchup, water, vinegar and all the rest of the goodies to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes or till slightly thickened.  Store in refrigerator up to one week.

I hope you give this a try and if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I'll try to help! LOL  Seriously ~

BTW
I'd share my brothers sauce recipe but it's top secret and he swore never to give it out.  He hasn't even shared it with me!  I will say I've had his ribs before and this time it was the best I've had.  Good Job Dave!  I need a picture!

Lastly .  .  .

And if you happen to have leftovers how about BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza?  Yes the crust it a bit over the top who knew ~ hee hee  it was yummy to.



WHEW!

Comments

Popular Posts