Spicy Zucchini Relish

A friend and neighbor of mine sent me text one day and said, "I scored an extra case of tomatoes and zucchini for you.  One case each.  They are cherry tomatoes."  The cherry tomatoes were even better upon seeing them they were the sweet grape!  I was sooo excited!  I could probably rephrase that too, "You know when you're getting old when a case or two of produce comes your way and you're excited!"  But, I was!!  So in making something different and to "make something yummy, as my friend said."  This spicy zucchini relish is just one of the few new recipes I tried.  
On a previous post and hunting for recipes I was particularly looking for my zucchini relish recipe someone gave me some time ago.  I couldn't find it and after looking on line I decided it had to much sugar.  Then Spicy caught my eyes.  Or is it eye - I do still have two - ok not funny :) .  .   . so moving right along.

I found this recipe at  The Seasoned Vegetable  - Elaine has a beautiful blog and very delicious looking recipes.  I'm hoping to try out her Roasted Zucchini Dip recipe shortly.  

Ingredients needed:
I DOUBLED THIS RECIPE  

1 zucchini, 2 cups diced
1/4 minced white onion, I used yellow - what I had
1 jalapeno, stemmed and seeded, finely diced*
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for serving


Clean and diced zucchini.  Place in large bowl or large measuring cup.


Mince up onion.  I had a spanish onion and sometimes they can be a bit overwhelming and take over so I didn't fully double the onion for the bite.


And, finely chopped jalapenos.  I was disappointed the peppers were very mild, even if I were to have used the seeds it wouldn't have mattered.  :(  So depending on how much heat you'd like you might have to purchase a few and check them.


Of, course place all the above into bowl and I tossed to combine.  I then got the seasonings together.


I sprinkled seasonings over the mix veggies and tossed together.  Cover and let rest for 30 minutes to over night.



When ready to serve chop fresh cilantro and toss together.  I thought it would be amazing with fish or chicken.  I choose cheese crisps with a dollop of greek yogurt.  It was a long day but with a delicious ending.  This relish is very refreshing.  Enjoy ~


Zucchini Nutritional Info / Dr. Axe 

Comments

Popular Posts