What's in a melon? :)

Apparently, all kinds of good stuff!!  I had some leftover cantaloupe and decided to juice it.  It was fresh and ripe - just not moving along fast enough.  But Oh, My Goodness!! Juicing was the right move.  So fresh and delicious it tasted almost like a vanilla shake.  yummy ~


So - what's in a cantaloupe that is beneficial for us?  According to a few links I looked out, listed at the bottom, it appears a very healthy choice for us that can enjoy this delicious food. One comment was that cantaloupe could be considered the beauty fruit!  As I age this sounds great to me!

High in Beta Carotene that converts into vitamin A that helps keep our immune system running properly, it's needed for eye health, it helps relieve inflammation and has been reported to contain cancer fighting properties.  Don't get me started there!  :/



Vitamin C - ascorbic acid - that most of us are more familiar with has been used for the common cold for as long as I can remember.  I myself have used this vitamin to keep nasties at bay.  According to some reports it is used in prevention and treatment of scurvy.  Boost’s the immune system, aides in hypertension and even cataracts.  It helps with the elasticity of your skin (needed as we age) healing wounds and has been said to be one of the safest and effective nutrients.  However, we need to receive it through food or supplements since our body doesn't have the capacity to generate this essential vitamin.  Cantaloupe - according to the USDA - has 100% of the recommended vitamin C needed in just one cup.  Cool.

Folate - Vitamin B9 as been reported that it may aide in fighting early cancers.  May aide memory loss in those aging.  Could improve heart health and may possibly help prevent stokes.  Folate aides in fetal development for those who are with child.  Also acts as an antioxidant fighting free radicals that aren't good for us and helps promote muscle growth. 

Potassium is so important in maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance in the body. This melon is rated number 5 in a list of 22 fruits with the highest amount of potassium - according to My Food Data   Another link suggests that it lowers blood pressure, prevents strokes, bone loss, diabetes and kidney stones!  Though I'm not a professional with a degree I read as much as I can on nutrition and do what I can to keep myself healthy.  Much of that time reading was trying to do as much as I could with the illness my husband suffered from.

Cantaloupe is also made up of 90% water and just that for us is very important - how many of us really drink enough.  As a gramma, getting grand kids to drink water has been a challenge but getting easier.  Having the option for them or anyone who might not "like" water, though hard for me to get being water is the best for fluid intake, this is good option for most; Dehydration is dangerous. 

Fiber is another thumb up especially for those that have problems with constipation it was reported in Healthline that a high-fiber diet may reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes.  All awesome!

 I haven't gone all out on this post due to time and you get the idea. 

Watermelon is also a healthier option to what I would call "junk."  I've always have tried to eat as close to as God had designed.  Realizing it isn't always possible and face it we are living in a day when just about everything has been altered! :(  But do the best you can.  If you have children around you getting them early on a good nutritional plan - teaching them how to be healthy will benefit them throughout their lives. 



I by no means suggest you do anything without thoroughly researching and if you have a good trusted physician you can glean from.  Too much of any vitamin can be as not enough.  Some would suggest all things in moderation, but I would say you need to know your body and its health / condition it’s in.  Not everyone's the same and your metabolism might different from someone else's.

For a side story here -  I so miss my friend Joan!  When thinking of cantaloupes, the last time I'd even shared on them was when Joanie and I went strawberry picking out in Ohio somewhere.  As we were picking, we started talking about other things we liked. That's if memory serves me correctly.  Anyway, there picking on another row was an Amish man and he seemed quite interested in my dessert idea.  Rather something my family would do, that is half a cantaloupe and remove the seeds. Leave it as a bowl and fill with a few scoops of vanilla ice cream!  My oh my that is tasty!!  And, that I know a bit better of melon goodness that makes it's a yummy win win . .  I guarantee that Amish gentlemen got home as quick as he could to give it a try.  Enjoy ~



Omega Juicer not the juicer I have but mine works well as the attachment works also low RPM's so you get the most nutrients possible. Video Link.  I've watched this guy for years and love his clips.



Healthline 7 Nutritious Benefits of Eating Cantaloupe

What the Fact 10 Amazing Nutritional Benefits of Cantaloupe

Worlds Healthiest Foods Lists all the extra vitamins that you didn't read about on my post.

Healthline Watermelon 101


Summer is just about gone so run out and grab some goodness!  As you know much of what we eat can and is brought in from other parts of the world, so we all take advantage of this, however, eating seasonally is important as well.  I'll leave that to another day.  .  .  :)

Comments

Popular Posts