Spring Pizza w/Asparagus~

So simple and delish!

Most whom like asparagus started making it as when they first had it as a kid never venturing out to make it a different way. They're stuck making it the same way every time the time. I know how I don't like it and outside of that I've liked it every different way I've made it or have had it. 

I've torn this recipe out of a magazine that's been floating around in and out of boxes for years. Not exactly share the date when I did that, but what the hack took me so long to just do it! Original recipe as stated on the bottom 'Eat Healthy Your Way." I haven't been successful at locating the site. 

I did make a change by roasted the asparagus for a short bit first, using the recipes version - but roasting it, before placing it on my dough and baked as I would pizza I do normally. Pease read through beforehand.

Original recipe anything I did different will be list with the original.

Spring Pizza

3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided 2Tbsp - 1

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound) - I had less left from a vegetable quiche I made.

1/2 snipped chives (from one bunch), divided*

1/4 tsp salt*

1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper*

1-pound whole-wheat pizza dough - I used reg. pizza dough that I made that didn't rise with a thicker crust around the perimeter of the pie. The recipe I used always turns out (though I made a mistake using bread flour I had on hand it wasn't cooperating.)

1cup shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese - I used rustic cut mozzarella also shredded 6 blended Italian style.

*I didn't use the fresh chives (I was lazy) or salt and pepper. I used a spice blend of 'shallots, scallions & leeks.'

1. With baking stone placed on the lower third rack heat at 450 degrees for at least 15 minutes. 

2. Combine 2 Tbsp of oil and garlic in a small bowl set aside. Trim off the ends of the asparagus leaving it about 6" in length, slice in half lengthwise any thicker ones. Toss asparagus with the remaining 1 Tbsp of oil, salt and pepper.

I use parchment under my doughs and use a peel to place it on the bake stone. If not at this point roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 14-inch circle. 

3. Carefully remove stone on a heatproof surface, my stone has a rack, but I use the parchment even use it in the baking process for about 5 minutes, if stone is removed place prepared dough on top carefully. 

4. Brush with the prepared oil and garlic mixture. Arrange asparagus on top tips facing out, top with cheese and remaining chives.

5. Carefully replace stone bake into the oven bake on the lower rack until crispy and cheese is melted about 15 minutes.


What I did:

2. I prepared the asparagus, placing it in a pan drilling and tossed with oil - placed in oven roasting till slightly tender. 

3. I brushed a bit of oil on prepared dough that was on top of parchment. Sprinkled with part of the lightly with both cheeses I used then put on minced garlic and sprinkled with herby mix. 

4. Placed asparagus on top - sprinkle a bit more cheese I used and sprinkled a bit more of the herby mix.

5 Bake.


If you like both asparagus and garlic, I think you'll like it - picture doesn't do justice it was good, and I'd make it again. great for light meal served with salad - even good for a picnic basket! Enjoy

Comments

Popular Posts